Christmas CARE

Caring can be learned by all human beings, can be worked into the design of every life, meeting an individual need as well as a pervasive need in society.  ~Mary Catherine Bateson

In light of the tragedy at the Newtown, Connecticut school last Friday, I feel I can not tell you often enough how much I appreciate everything you do for our children at Benton each day.  We spend so much time together that it is hard to imagine something so dark happening to any school children, let alone our own, but it is not without possibility as Friday’s events have shown us.

It is important to share with our students at each appropriate opportunity how safe we are at school, and how our policies and procedures are created to keep us as safe as possible.  One of the strongest elements for our students’ safety is you – their teachers.  Take time, this week especially, to reassure them of that fact.  Be vigilant to stand “guard” at your door and in the hallways to show our resolve to keep the children safe.  This measure will go far in sending a message that we do CARE about them – more than they can ever imagine.

I also appreciate the joy you have continued to share and promote during this holiday season.  I have had numerous students tell me how fun this year has been so far with teachers participating in school activities, taking extra time to talk with them or to their parents, and spending time outside of school attending events.  It’s sort of amazing how a simple gift of time or talk can make such a different in a child’s life, but it does.  It really does.

I hope and pray that each one of you has the most amazing holiday break possible this year.  It is the true joy of the season – to love and be loved.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Week 18 – A Look Ahead

Our walkthroughs this week will continue with our EOC courses, but if you have not done so already, we ask all faculty members to take one day this week during your plan period and walk through classrooms that are not in your department. Observe something positive about the learning in that room and email the teacher.  It’s a gift that we all need – positive feedback from our colleagues. 

Monday5th Day Countdown/Angel Day – act like one; Sandy Hook Elementary School Memoriam (students can wear gold ribbons on their arms); Band Concert @ 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday4th Day Countdown/Ugly Christmas Sweater Day; Choir Concert @ 7:00 p.m.

Wednesday3rd Day Countdown/Santa Hat Day; Benton Leadership Team Meeting at 7:00 a.m. in Room 106; FINAL EXAMS – RED DAY

Thursday2nd Day Countdown/Winter Scarf & Hat Day; FINAL EXAMS – WHITE DAY; 2 Hour Early out/Staff Work Day

FridayFinal Day Countdown/Snowflakes Day; Special Schedule (to be posted)/Make-up final exams and Digital Exhibition Session; 3 Hour Early Out for ALL STUDENTS and STAFF

~Excellence is a journey not a destination.~

All images are CC on Flickr: “sillyLittleSnowmen” by The Year of Mud; Frosty’s Christmas Greeting (Explored 12/21/11)” by Puzzler4879.