Ruminating on Purpose in 2011

IMG_0344Or in other words, back on the horse. My sons both ask me why all educational blogs look the same or “teach” the same, but then I looked around and could see what they were saying.  I can’t tell you the number of times I have stopped in my tracks ready to post a specific idea and knowing that I was not able to honestly reflect as openly as I would want to be or need to be to teach or learn myself. This translated at the end, along with lack of time, to few and no blogs by the end of 2010.  I want to change that by changing my purpose in 2011.

I wondered how many other administrators are in a similar place, and this stops them from trying.  I don’t want to be here, so I started looking for examples of blogs that are not like that.  My favorite, of course, is Dangerously Irrelevant. Scott delivers great connections.  The material is tantalizing and delivered succinctly.  You should check it out.

Picture by me.  M&M in Hammer gear.

2 thoughts on “Ruminating on Purpose in 2011

1. Hi friend.

Blogging is hard to stay on top of, but worth the time if you can find it as a busy administrator. Keep plugging and remember that it doesn’t have to be Pulitzer-quality to be on the Web (in other words, don’t hold back even if you think it’s not great; someone will find value in what you write, I promise).

Thanks for the kind words about my blog!

SCOTT
    ———–
    Scott McLeod, J.D., Ph.D.
    Associate Professor, Educational Administration, & Director, CASTLE
    Iowa State University, 707-722-7853 (7077-CASTLE)
    http://www.scottmcleod.net/contact
    http://www.twitter.com/mcleod

2. Hi Scott! Thanks for your comment! You know, it’s true, you really do challenge me as well as always keep me informed with your blog. When I looked for what I liked in others’ writings, I really had to be honest about what kept me away. I do wonder how you find the time to fit in all that do. I am amazed by you. I hope to see you soon!